Saturday, November 3, 2007

A new twist

Thanks for your supportive comments on my beta! I have alot of hope/anxiety for Tuesday's u/s. My beta should be over 2500 by then, so we should see the gestational sac and the yolk sac. If not, that's when my next worry stage begins. Evidently in order to see a fetal pole, beta needs to be 5,000+, which unless my doubling time goes into hyper-overdrive, is not very likely to happen.

This is random, but I think I have a Urinary Tract Infection. After the bleeding incident, a couple of people suggested it as a possibility. So this morning, when I realized that I wasn't urinating like a racehorse as per usual, but rather a pathetic two second trickle, and there was an ever-so-slight uncomfortableness, my husband and I decided to do some research. This, coupled with the fact that I was finding I now occasionally have a small amount of light-brownish tinged mucus on the TP after going to the loo. It's always SOMETHING, isn't it?

Some searching showed us that, all signs point to UTI!

We ended up making a dash off to Rite-Aid, where I loudly asked the pharmacist if she had any urinary tract infection tests, which sent my husband running up a different aisle in humiliation, pretending he didn't know me. Turns out no, they did not have any tests! So off we went to CVS where we found a nice variety, and bought a couple. My husband chuckling at how nonchalantly I treat the process. Embarrassing purchases? Please. That's the least of my probs.

Having tried to "cure" my potential UTI on my own, I had been drinking a ton of water all day so my peeing could normalize, which it did - going in the other direction of having to pee so badly every five minutes I wanted to cry. So when I got home, I had more than enough saved to do one of the tests.

What do you know - the "nitrate" test came back negative, while the "white blood cell" presence test came back looking slightly positive. So now I guess I have to call my RE and tell them I may have a UTI. I guess they can give me antibiotics and it's supposed to be safe in pregnancy.

I don't know if the possible UTI has anything to do with the bleeding, but it is interesting that it came about at the same time, is all I am saying.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

You know, this is the first thing I thought when I read about the bleeding happening when you were urinating. I hear that UTI's are actually a common occurrence in early pregnancy. So...this is possibly a good thing, even though I'm sure it's a pain in the hoo-haa (literally!).

Can't wait to hear about the u/s and next beta! Hope you're feeling better soon!

AwkwardMoments said...

Hey thanks for leaving a comment. Your UTI situation sounds very painful. Good luck at the dr's. Can't wait ti hear all about it

peesticksandstones said...

So happy to find your blog -- I am totally riveted by your story (it gives me hope). Happy to hear about these beautifully-rising betas!

UTIs suck -- I used to get them all the time. That's good that you're drinking all that water, though. Hot baths used to help me, too.

Can't wait to hear how Tuesday goes. Seems like it's a big day for a lot of us for some reason (some weird RE conspiracy?). Until then, take care over there...

lub said...

I hate the thought of UTI's! You seem to be taking it in stride. I guess if that's what is causing the bleeding it could be a good thing???