Friday, November 2, 2007

Still Rising!

Albeit, not as quickly as before. Today's beta is 992 (sooo close to 1000!). So, since I got that third beta at 2 pm rather than 9 am, I had to find a calculator that lets you do the doubling rate using hours rather than just days.

In case anyone ever needs this, it's very useful. But it doesn't work in Firefox, just IE.
http://www.betabase.info/doublingCalc.php

Anyway because I am completely OCD, I put together a beta doubling chart and this is what I found:

Date
Beta
Doubling Rate (hrs)
10/28/07
190

10/30/07
376
48.7
10/31/07*
580
46.38
11/2/07
992
55.53

*beta from mid-afternoon!

Overall doubling rate from Beta 1 - 4: 50.3 hours

So I don't know what to think because it sped up a bit, then slowed down. I think I am still in an ok range though. At least that is what I am holding on to for now. The nurse told me to come back on Tuesday for another beta and an u/s. I asked her what she thought, and she said, "you had a bleeding incident this week, right? Well, it really could go either way." Yikes. Well at least they are not trying to sugar coat anything for me.

Trying to look on the positive side:
The beta did not stay the same.
The beta did not fall!
The beta is slowing but not tremendously.
I am not even spotting anymore! All clear. No more cramps either.

The nurse said if I start bleeding again to call immediately. I am guessing that given this and my previous pregnancy history, if I make it "out of the woods" by getting to the heartbeat stage (which I do not expect on Tuesday! I will only be 5w2d) - I will most certainly need a high-risk OB. Probably not a bad idea to be honest. I'm just assuming that there is still something in there, and it's still making HCG. So that's got to mean something, right? Ok, my attempts at optimism are making me feel a little bit better.

I've been on bed rest for the most part since Wednesday afternoon, working from home. Now that the work week is officially over, I have a mission: catch up on everyone's blogs. That's a fun thing to do!

Updating this to say: I am getting shooting pains through my right breast and nipple. Ow.

5 comments:

bleu said...

Well I am so happy to see that. I think your time range is just fine, if it were 60 hours or more I would worry a little at this stage. I am so cheering you on.

I commented on your comment btw, we must have both cross posted at the same time since I posted a new post and as soon as I hit publish I got your comment posting. lol

Kami said...

Sorry I haven't kept up! I didn't realize you have been dealing with some scary stuff. With such a good beta . . . what if you had twins and one was lost wouldn't that affect the doubling time.

I hope things look wonderful at the u/s. It is so scary to go through this time after previous losses. Hang in there!

Rebecca said...

I am so glad that things seem to be progressing better! Just take it easy, get lots of rest, and I'll be sending even more *beta rising* vibes and good u/s vibes for the upcoming tests!

lub said...

You have every right to be optimistic! I think that doubling time is just fine. I am hoping good thoughts for your appt!!!

RBandRC said...

I think your betas are fine. They aren't slowing tremendously, and you're no longer spotting. I've got everything crossed that Tuesday brings you some great news! :)